Monday, April 27, 2009

Is this art?



Today I want to introduce you to something I've just discovered a few hours ago. Before the weekend we were talking in class about art, creativity, museums... and one of the most "polemic" points in the debate was "what was art for each of us". Well, obviously it depends on the person, but it has nothing to do with age or sex or... It's something we all have inside and we have to discover. After today I thought I like impressionism painting such as Manet, Renoir or others but now I know that I love many of those pieces of beautiful art which are inside the Centre Charles Pompidou, in Paris. There is the most important and famous collection of modern art and, despite the fact some of you (and I could say "some of us" until today) don't like that kind of intelligent uses of objects which aren't apparently art, I ask you to have a look at least at one of the pictures which the web page below shows. Please. Perhaps you don't like them at all and perhaps you already know all of them but just in case there is someone like me who hadn't already tried, or just to see, because we have to see everything, and then love or hate but see, because it doesn't cost any money, does it?

http://www.cnac-gp.fr/Pompidou/Pedagogie.nsf/0/651D33F89AE541E0C1256D9C00529708?OpenDocument&sessionM=3.3&L=2&sessionM=4.3&L=2

(sorry, the links don't work properly, you'll have to copy the adresses. If you have some idea of how to solve this, I would thank you tell me)

The picture above this post is an sculpture by Marcel Duchamp, a French artist who was born in 1887 in Blainville-Crevon, Seine-Maritime and died in 1968 in Paris. He's known around the world and if you didn't know him because you had heard his surname because his brothers were famous painters and sculptors too. The work is called "Roue de bicyclette" (Bicycle Wheel) and it was created in 1913, although the one in Pompidou is a replica by the Schwarz Gallery in Milan (1964).

Here you have the technique description:

Roue de bicyclette (Bicycle Wheel), 1913/1964
Duchamp created the (since lost) original in Paris in 1913. The Schwarz Gallery in Milan produced this replica under Duchamp’s supervision in 1964. It is the sixth version of this readymade piece
A bicycle wheel assembled onto a stool
Metal and painted wood, 126.5 x 31.5 x 63.5 cm


Now let's open the debate! Who is for having a bike wheel in a museum? Who is against it and says bike wheels have to be spinning in the street? My opinion is bike compounds have lots of things to say in art galleries, and I've realised it today, perhaps you already have your idea or perhaps today you are having a new one like me!

Would you say three white panels hanging on the wall are art? If you want to read more, I've found an interesting blog post which talks about the feeling of visiting Pompidou and seeing things like these panels, which annoys you or change your art concept, sure!

http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2007/06/euroupdate_2_is_science_art.php


(I'm waiting for your artistic answers!)

6 comments:

Sand in my shoes said...

I'm begining to like modern art.I like to see great ideas in a work of art, understand them, and see how the artist has created something to transmit you it.
It's amazing! I like an artist who was in MACBA until yesterday: Cildo Meireles.
I recommend you him! He's so great!

gentleman said...

I discovered modern art thanks to Duchamp, he started to take objects and put them in new contexts. My favourite is the "toilet" the real name is Foutain and it's from 1917. It is the most irreverent and famous. You can see writting Duchamp in google images.

iron maiden said...

Good and an interesting article! I'm trying to enter to the wolrd of modern art, just trying...Anyway I must confess that I often feel that those modern artists are pulling my leg.

Blue moon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blue moon said...

I like modern art but within some traditional limits, I mean I like for instance Kandinsky (Auf Weiss II [On white II], 1923), but I don't Duchamp's objects like Bicycle Wheel that you posted. Nowadays everything is art, like the three white panels, and for me art has to say or transmit us something, so what kind of feeling transmit you those panels? For me, nothing. Maybe for other people peace or something like that. Anyway I respect it but I don't share it.
Well it's just a humble opinion from one person who doesn't know much about art, so...

ALOUCA said...

It is easy to understand modern art if you enter into the artist’s world, into all his ideas and feelings. Art can be the result of artists’ thoughts about things and situations around them and their reactions in face of live. Some artists with their works try to express their rebellion against rules or their nonconformity