Thursday, October 02, 2008

Hats and shoes? Start writing!

Hello. I think I don’t know you. And you don’t know me either. Well, in fact that’s a question of time. In a few days we’ll know each other as if we had talked for years and years.
I don’t really know what to write in here because it’s my first day at work and my boss has told me to write something you could like, because otherwise you won’t buy that magazine anymore, but that’s difficult. Actually I think my boss has no idea of the kind of texts I like writing, so perhaps some day he has a surprise!
Well, now you know what my job is about, and perhaps it’s a good idea to introduce myself. Isn’t it?
I’m an old man who likes wearing hats. Yes, that could be my best description. But don’t worry, I’ll tell you more things: I’m quite short and I’m pretty thin, I’ve got little ears, a little mouth and a very little nose; and my eyes are grey and have the size of nearly two oranges. Well, perhaps that’s too much, but what I mean is that they are enormous. I’ve got such long fingers that seem that I’ve played piano all my life (you know pianists use to have long fingers), but I’ve never played an instrument. Perhaps my fingers have grown in this way because they know I love listening to piano melodies and, on the other hand, I don't play them, and they are so confused that they have though perhaps I would start playing it if I saw my fingers were as the pianists’ one’s. Well, it’s not a bad reason.
Going on with my description, I can tell you’ll easily recognise me because I’m always wearing colourful shoes, although they sometimes don’t mix with the clothes I’m wearing. My shoes and my hat: that’s me. Now you know much more about who I am. But after finishing today’s story I want to tell you one secret: I’m a frustrated writer. Yes. I’m not joking. Many years ago, when I was a child, I started writing. At the beginning I wrote things which were not very good, and then I continued with the same tendency. Yes. I’ve never known how to write. I’ve read a lot and I’ve tried to copy many different writers to learn this art, but I’ve realised it’s something you have to be born with: the magic of inventing stories and making people laugh, or cry, or smile, or hate with them. So, don’t tell it to my boss, but I think I’ll be his ruin, because every time I start working for a new magazine, I end up without a job again because people say they don’t like my texts. And I’m sure it’s true. But I don’t want to stop writing. So, you know, if you notice there are horrible stories in this magazine, don’t panic. It’s my lovely art of writing!

Now yes, I’ve finished for today.
Apart from all I’ve told you, in general that’s a good magazine so keep having a look at it, and perhaps one day you are a testimony of the first good text of a frustrated writer!


Somesketh

3 comments:

Nuria Vidal said...

Nice and compromising start!

Here are my comments:

-we’ll know each other as IF we had talked for years and years.
- don’t really know what to write in here because it’s my first day at work and (0) my boss HAS told me to write something you could like,
-Actually, I think my boss HAS no idea of the kind of texts I like writing
-I’ve got such (0) long fingers that IT seemS that I’ve played THE piano all my life (you know pianistS use to have long FINGERS),
-they are so confusING that I have THOUGHT
-it’s not a BAD reason.
-I wrote things which were not VERY good,
- it’s something you have to BE born with:
-because people SAY THEY (WO) don’t like my texts.
-Apart FROM all I’ve told you,

Nuria Vidal said...

I think I understand what you want to say. Your changes sound right to me in the first paragraph.

The ver "to be born" (present)
"was/were born" (past) You still need to change that!

Well done!!

Nuria Vidal said...

I meant the "verb", sorry!! Too fast!